The Doe Network:
Case File 719DFCA
Essie Margarette Hiett
Missing since February 13, 1978 from Oroville, Butte County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing
- Date Of Birth: November 18, 1930
- Age at Time of Disappearance: 47 years old
- Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 130 lbs
- Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. Hiett wears eyeglasses with photo gray lenses.
- Birthmarks, Scars: She has a half-moon-shaped scar on her right temple near her hairline. Hiett has surgical scars on both of her legs as the result of a varicose vein removal operation. Hiett has pierced ears.
- Dentals: She wears a full set of dentures. Dental X-rays are not available.
- Clothing/Jewelry: She was wearing a green blouse with a female's facial image imprinted on the front, a Timex watch with a white metal extension band and a blue face and sterling silver earrings. Hiett also wore a white gold wedding ring set, which included an engagement ring with five embedded stones and a wedding band with six embedded stones; the total weight of the set is one karat.
- AKA: Marge or Steele
Circumstances of Disappearance
Hiett was last seen in downtown Oroville, California on February 13, 1978. Essie worked as a hostess at an Oroville card
room; she vanished while returning to her home sometime
between 02.00 and 04.00 am. Her disabled car and her clothes were found, but her body was never located.
Foul play is suspected.
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Butte County Sheriff's Department
Agency Case Number:
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
California Department of Justice
Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index