The Doe Network:
Case File 202UMLA
Reconstruction of Victim
Unidentified White Male
- Located on December 6, 1985 in St. James Parish, Louisiana.
- Estimated date of Death: 4-6 months prior
- Partial Skeletal Remains
- Estimated age: 40-55 years old
- Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"-5'10"
- Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium brown hair 6 cm in length.
- Clothing: Long sleeved "Calvin Klein" shirt, size 15.5, 32-33; non-described pants; leather belt, nylon jacket lining and non-described shoes.
- Skeletal Findings: Healed fracture to the left and right nasal and maxillary bones that probably required medical treatment; left humerus had been chronically dislocated from the shoulder joint in an anterior direction, remodeling present.
- Dentals: He had extensive porcelain crowns on all his teeth. About $20,000 in dental work. Antemortem extractions of teeth #2,5,8,12,15,17,21,28 & 32. Pontics noted for teeth #2,8 & 15. Root canals noted for teeth #1,16 & 30. White gold crown noted on tooth #1. Yellow gold crown noted on tooth #18. Amalgam filling noted on tooth #13 (MOD). Composite fillings noted on teeth #23(BL) and #22(L). Complete (entire crown) ceramo (porcelain fused to gold) caps have been mounted on the natural roots. Individual porcelain crowns/caps were noted on all the mandibular teeth (except #22); 3 fixed bridge units consisting of porcelain crowns/caps were noted for maxillary teeth #2-4, #6-11, and #14-16.
- Fingerprints: Not available
- DNA: Available at state lab.
The victim was located in tall grass alongside LA 641 in St. James Parish, but the body contained no identification.
Carl Horne, also known as Kurt Kussman pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of the unidentified drifter and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Horne, originally from Florida, claimed responsibility for the slaying after he was accused of armed robbery by authorities in Austin, Texas.
Horne and his victim, believed to be from Alabama, were hitchhiking through St. James Parish when Horne allegedly stabbed him to death. Horne allegedly also
took the victims wallet.
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Agency Name: LSU FACES Lab
Agency Contact Person: Dr. Ginesse Listi
Agency Phone Number: 225-578-3906
St. James Parish Sheriff's Office
Criminal Investigation Unit
LSU Case Number:
SJPSO Case Number:
LSU FACES Lab
Return to the Unidentified Victims' Index