The Doe Network:
Case File 1597DFIL


Lydia Thompson
Missing since July 5, 1996 from Chicago, Cook Co, Illinois
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

  • Date Of Birth: September 12, 1952
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 43 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 135 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black female. Brown hair; brown eyes. Light complexion.
  • Marks, Scars: Large vaccination mark on upper arm.

Circumstances of Disappearance
The Thompson family was last seen in Chicago, Illinois on July 5, 1996.
Everett Thompson, Sr., owner of Eat and Company, a Park Manor neighborhood business, was last seen on July 5, 1996 by one of his employees. His mother reported him missing on July 17, 1996, when she was unable to contact him, his wife, Lydia, or either of their two sons Everett, Jr. and Andrew .

On that July afternoon in 1996 Thompson's father phoned his son, Everett, at the Chicago restaurant the younger man owned. The elder Thompson recalled that he also broached the topic of his son's quarrelsome brother-in-law, an ex-convict, and a freeloading house guest of Everett and his wife, Lydia Thompson. Everett interrupted their conversation to take a frantic phone call from Lydia, at home with the couple's two sons, Everett Jr., 10, and Andrew, 8.
Back on the line seconds later Everett told his dad he had to go home right away. Lydia's brother was chasing her around the house with an ax. She locked herself in the bedroom and called Everett to come home.
The early July phone call was the last time either man spoke to the other.

The brother was questioned early on about the family's whereabouts. He pleaded ignorance. According to police, he told officers the family had gone away, driving or taking a bus to Pennsylvania or Minnesota. Fears about the fate of the family heightened when federal agents reported finding bloodstained clothing, including a boy's sock, in a search of a house trailer, rented by the brother in Gary, on July 14, 1997.

Lydia's brother had been questioned on several occasions regarding the disappearance of the family and was indicted for falsifying his sister's signature on documents immediately following her disappearance. He committed suicide in December of 1997, without revealing any information he may have had regarding the family.

Police say if there was foul play, it happened on July 4, 5 or 6, 1996. No one saw the Thompson family after that time and the brother was seen driving the Thompson van soon after that weekend.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Chicago Police Department
Missing Persons Section
Investigator Connie Perusich

Agency Case Number: A-782555

Source Information:
Chicago Police Department
Chicago Tribune 1/8/98
NamUs MP #4603

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

Questions or comments? Please contact appropriate member of the Area Team

Last Updated: 8/18/2012 - By: BR / Web Assist