Name: Lynne Kathryn Schulze
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: December 10, 1971
Location Last Seen: Middlebury, Addison County, Vermont
Date of Birth: February 9, 1954
Age: 17 years old
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair Color: Light brown
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Severe acne on her face.
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted
Clothing: Blue jeans, brown ski parka and maroon pullover sweater.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Lynne Kathryn Schulze was a freshman at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont and grew up in Simsbury, Connecticut. She was an avid outdoors person and spent many of her weekends exploring and hiking in New England. She frequently hitchhiked but always returned home. She was very close with her family and it was out of character for her to not be in touch. She was last seen on Friday, December 10, 1971, which was the first day of her final exams. She left behind all of her personal property, including her wallet and sleeping bag.
The following is a timeline of the day she disappeared:
- 7:45 AM Lynne’s roommate leaves and Lynne is still sleeping.
- 12:30 PM Lynne is seen by a fellow student outside a building that houses the bus station and a local health food store, All Good Things, on Court Street in Middlebury. She is eating dried prunes that she purchased at All Good Things and says she is going to New York, but the bus has already left. Lynne walked back to campus with a fellow college student.
- 12:45 PM Lynne is seen by a friend and fellow student in her dorm room. The two have a final exam together at 1:00 PM. Lynne does not want to talk about the exam, and is distracted and looking for her favorite pen.
- 12:50 PM Lynne is seen by the same friend and is still in her dorm room.
- 12:55 PM Lynne is no longer in her dorm room and the friend goes to the final exam.
- 1:00 PM Lynne did not take her final exam.
- 2:15 PM Lynne is seen standing on Court Street by another fellow college student. She is across from the bus station and the health food store. This is the last time she is ever seen.
In July 2012, police received an anonymous tip that Robert Durst owned a health food store in Middlebury around the time of Lynne's disappearance. In 2015, Durst was arrested on a first-degree murder charge of Susan Berman, his longtime friend, who was killed in 2000. In 2003, he was acquitted in the 2001 dismemberment death of his neighbor while living in Texas. Durst has long been suspected in the 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathie Durst. While Durst is not a suspect in Lynne's disappearance, police are investigating a possible link.
Agency Name: Middlebury Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Detective Kris Bowdish
Agency Phone Number: 802-388-3191
Agency E-Mail: kbowdish(at)middleburypolice.org
Agency Case Number: 92-MB-1939
Agency Name: Vermont State Police
Agency Contact Person: Lt. Reg Trayah
Agency Phone Number: 802-244-8781
Agency E-Mail: reg.trayah(at)vermont.gov
Agency Case Number: 92-MB-1939
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 6975
Vermont State Police
Vermont Missing Persons
Middlebury Police Department
Motorcyclist Online: Looking for Lynne Schulze
Burlington Free Press News Archive
The Addison Independent News Archive
Added: Prior to 2011; Last Updated: 7/14/2017
Submit an update to this case file.
Questions or comments? Please contact appropriate member of the Area Team
** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.